Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My Employment History


I have been in the working world for some time before returning to school. I have had the pleasure of working for a government organization, Peel Children's Aid. While employed there as a Child and Youth Worker, I facilitated and participated in a variety of programs within the organization.

I began my career there in a position, under the children's services umbrella, in a short terms receiving and assessment home. My job was to observe, report and make recommendations for the clients within that program. From there, I moved into a long term treatment program. Children and their families participated in various activities to help improve their relationships and communication skills. Part if the program's initiatives were to help build skills in anger management, problem solving and awareness of oneself and their impact on others.

After some time, I was asked to participate in opening and starting up a "sister" program in long term treatment. I helped implement programming and rules and regulations for the program structure. Unfortunately, the program was unable to sustain it's position. The program dissolved due to difficulty to obtain a couple to work in the "house parent position" that the program needed to thrive.

I then moved into a staff operated group home within the assessment area of the agency. Adolescents were the primary focus of this program. A section 19 classroom was attached to the home as well giving me the opportunity to gain experience in a classroom setting. I continued to work in this setting until I delivered my second child.

After my maternity leave ended, I decided that I would stay home with my children for a while. I chose to work part time to allow me the chance to enjoy my children while they were in their younger years. I chose to take a position with FedEx as a customer service representative.

Working at FedEx has been very different. I have learned the systems and processes used by the company quickly. I have never worked in a company where information and procedures are so vastly important. I have fine tuned my time management skills and have learned to work efficiently. As most people have heard the slogan from the commercials, FedEx is "the world on time". This statement is so very true. Sometimes I am in awe at how the company pulls together to serve the customer.

My goal is to obtain a position within FedEx. Head office seems like an intriguing place to work. We shall see what the future brings. For now I am content working within the position and responsibilities I have currently.

No comments:

Post a Comment